About Social Enterprise Summit
Social Enterprise Summit (SES) is an annual series of non-profit events and programmes in Hong Kong. It has become a major cross-sector platform among the civic sector, businesses, academia and government in the region to advance social entrepreneurship and social innovation for positive social changes.
Since its inception in 2008, SES has become a highly-acclaimed annual event attracting some 3,000 to 4,600+ participation every year from Hong Kong, mainland China and the Asia Pacific region.
An array of community activities is held in different districts in Hong Kong during the year to expand the participation and reach beyond the conference rooms, applying the knowledge; social entrepreneurship and innovative mindsets to various day to day life settings.
- To promote social entrepreneurship and social innovation as agents of positive social change
- To provide a platform for social entrepreneurs, social innovators, NGOs, businesses, investors, academics and the government to engage with one another for cross-sector innovation
- To enhance the business capabilities of social enterprises and on the other hand cultivate a purpose-driven mindset among businesses
- To nurture innovative entrepreneurship among young people
- To promote impact investing and bridge funding bodies and investors with social entrepreneurs and social innovators
- To capture the new dynamics of social entrepreneurship and social innovation in the region and around the world and to provide a forum for exchange of ideas and strategies
In 2008, Social Enterprise Summit (SES) was founded by the Hong Kong Policy Research Foundation (HKPRF) in Hong Kong to advocate social entrepreneurship, that was then attracting much attention in many places as a solution to the social and development challenges of the time. HKPRF, established in 1998 for the purpose of supporting public policy research, provided initial funding and administrative support through the Hong Kong Policy Research Institute (HKPRI).
In 2014, with Social Enterprise Summit becoming a more independent operation of its own, HKPRF transferred the project management role to the Hong Kong Social Entrepreneurship Forum Ltd (HKSEF), a non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting and supporting the development of social entrepreneurship. Since then, HKSEF has been the organiser of Social Enterprise Summit. It coordinates the efforts of over 20 organisations with strong support from the Hong Kong SAR Government to invite organisations and representatives from the civil society, the business sector, the government and the academia to the International Symposium. The same year marked the beginning of Community Entrepreneurship based programmes, an array of year-round community outreach activities to different districts in Hong Kong.
In 2018, the International Symposium expanded from 2 days to become a 3-day event, and the number of Community Entrepreneurship based programmes increased to 6 districts around Hong Kong.
In 2020, SES has emerged to become a major cross-sector platform to inspire and empower social innovation. The flagship international symposium is a highly-acclaimed annual event attracting some 3,000-4,600+ participation from Hong Kong, mainland China and the Asia Pacific region. It was held online with an exciting line up of over 90+ speakers and attendances from 25+countries. Community outreach has expanded to 8 districts around Hong Kong. This Social Innovation movement is set to further it's social impact through facilitating an inter-city alliance; co-creating an open knowledge hub; as well as channelling resources to bridge purpose and actions.